There are many ways to immigrate to Canada from the United States or to reside in Canada temporarily, but each pathway requires a plan. This article gives a glimpse on how to move to Canada from USA.

The United States and Canada share a long and storied history. Both of these vast, ambitious nations were, by and large, settled and governed by immigrant communities — and both the U.S. and Canada continue to receive hundreds of thousands of newcomers from around the world on an annual basis.

Every year, thousands of American citizens make the decision to move to Canada. Some are attracted by economic opportunity, others are sponsored by a spouse or partner, while many other Americans come to work or study in Canada on a temporary basis. Indeed, some are enticed by more than one of these factors, or other considerations.

Benefits of Moving to Canada

  • Canada offers a better standards of living when compared to USA. According to the United Nations Quality of Life rankings, Canada is there in 9th place.
  • Canada offers outstanding medical services to the people as well. With state-funded health care system, it is guaranteed not to end up paying massive fees in healthcare services.
  • Canada is a highly immigration friendly country and provides high safety and security.
  • On top of all that Canada has a growing economy.

How Can You Move to Canada From the USA?

The methods through which someone can immigrate to Canada from the USA are similar to those of other countries. This means, some of the easiest ways for a US citizen to immigrate to Canada are:

  • Work Permit
  • Family sponsorship
  • Startup Visa
  • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Express Entry

The process of obtaining a Permanent Residence for Canada includes meeting several eligibility criteria, gathering documents, filling out forms, and applying through your IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) account.

Work Permit

Thousands from the U.S. move to Canada as foreign workers.

Work permits in Canada fall under two categories.

The first category involves a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Canada’s federal government uses the LMIA to determine how the hiring of foreign workers may impact the wages and employment of workers in Canada. Some job offers require an LMIA, and hence, employers in Canada need to petition the federal government and obtain either a positive or neutral LMIA before bringing the foreign worker in.

The second category does not require an LMIA. Under this category, LMIAs are not required due to Canada’s economic and social interests. U.S. citizens, for example, may be eligible for an LMIA-exempt work permit under the former NAFTA, now known as the United States-Canada-Mexico-Agreement (USMCA). U.S. citizens have greater flexibility to work in Canada under the USCMA if they have a job available through their current employer or a new one, or if they are going to engage in substantial investments or trade in Canada.

The Global Talent Stream has become an increasingly popular option in recent years, and tech talent in the U.S., irrespective of their nationality, have been able to benefit from fast-track processing of their Canadian work permits.

It is important to note that coming to Canada as a foreign worker provides an advantage if you wish to immigrate. Many of Canada’s economic class immigration streams either provide more points or are designed for foreign nationals who have Canadian work experience. For instance, you can gain more points under Express Entry for your local experience.

Family Sponsorship

If you have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner living in Canada as a citizen or permanent resident, they can sponsor your move there.

In order for your partner to be able to sponsor you, he or she has to be over 18, have no criminal record, be able to support you, not be receiving social assistance, and show that they plan to continue living in Canada even after you move there.

In addition, if you are not married, you have to prove you are in a conjugal relationship or that you have lived together for a specific amount of time. This could include showing you have shared property, pay bills together, and have the same address on important documents.

Startup Visa

The Canadian government offers the Startup Visa to foreign entrepreneurs who have an innovative business idea. The startup program will offer great opportunities to US citizens trying to immigrate and start a business in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Another method to immigrate to Canada from USA is through the Provincial Nominee Programs. Through these programs, Canada’s provinces can nominate applicants that they consider as fit to move to that particular province.

The Canadian provinces participating in the program are:

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • Yukon